Greetings from the staff at Stead,
The National Championship Air Races will return to Stead in a few weeks, and I will provide the most recent information for you later in this letter. Also in this letter, I want to provide information to update you on recent happenings at RTS.
- Airport maintenance: The Stead team has been hard at work this summer on our pavement maintenance program . We have completed the seal coating of taxiway A and all the A connectors. Thanks to everyone for your help during the various taxiway closures and traffic diversions. The centerlines will be painted Friday, August 29 . We will begin crack sealing after the air races, and continue as long as our materials, money and weather hold out. The weed control program is really starting to show results along runways and taxiways.
- Taxiway C: Bids for the reconstruction of taxiway C have been received, and are within the engineer’s estimates. RTAA has a fully executed Grant Agreement with the FAA, although we have not received full funding for the project. If additional funds are not available this Fiscal Year, we will apply for the remainder in FY 2015.
- BLM operations: It has been a quiet year for tanker activity. Let’s hope northern Nevada continues to have good weather to keep us out of extreme fire conditions. As always, everyone appreciates the cooperation you have shown in providing the air tankers priority here at Stead.
- Vehicle Operations: For the most part, vehicle operators at RTS adhere to good, safe driving practices in the vicinity of aircraft. REMEMBER: Runways and Taxiways are restricted to Authorized Vehicles Only, i.e. Airport Authority or Aviation Classics on OFFICIAL BUSINESS. Some folks still drive WAY too fast on the ramp and in the vicinity of the hangars, and everyone would appreciate it if all drivers would adhere to the POSTED 15 MPH speed limit on the ramp in the vicinity of the hangars. As always, aircraft have the right of way. Can you see and avoid an aircraft coming out of the taxilanes? Your cooperation will be appreciated by everyone.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AIR RACES (NCAR)
As was the case last year, ALL RACE AIRCRAFT are required to be in the pits no later than 1200, Saturday, September 6. Due to this requirement, we will see increased race participant activity earlier in arrival week. Waivered flight activity (practice I qualifying) at RTS under the TFR will begin on Sunday, September 7 from 0800-1700.
- NCAR impacts on you, the tenants will begin several weeks earlier than race week with many vehicles, pedestrians and non-standard activities on the west ramp area (unlimited pit area, VIP tents, etc). By Monday September 1, we will all need to exercise extreme caution while taxing, due to the large numbers of non airport pedestrians and vehicles in the area. This is the day set up will really hit the ramp areas west of the grandstands . The potential for conflict will be VERY HIGH! If possible, please tow your aircraft to the north end of the ramp, rather than taxi through the work areas.
- As part of the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority’s efforts to provide excellent customer service to our tenants, the RTAA has again made arrangements for Reno-Stead tenants to relocate their aircraft to the Reno-Tahoe International Airport during race week. There will be no charge for parking at RNO from 0800 Friday, September 5 through 1700 Monday, September 15.
All RTS tenants will be parked at the former Sierra Air facility on the east side of RNO. Upon landing, notify the tower you wish to taxi to “GA East”. When possible, contact Atlantic Aviation Unicom on freq. 131.6 for additional instructions.
To make arrangements to relocate to RNO, contact Brandon Leindl, Operations manager for Atlantic Aviation at 858-7300. You may also use Brandon’s email, Brandon.Leindl@atlanticaviation.com to coordinate your request. The Atlantic Aviation office phone number is 858-7300. Due to security requirements at RNO, you will be required to provide the following information to Atlantic:
- Your name
- Aircraft type and tail number
- Your Cell phone number
This information will be provided to the airport communications center. To gain access to your aircraft, call Airport Communications at 328-6600, and provide ALL this information to gain access through the remote access gate (Gate # 465) located at GA EAST.
You will have access to your aircraft 24 hours a day, but there will not be services available from 2200-0600 daily. Fueling services are available at any time during the day or night; however you will need to taxi to the Atlantic Aviation facility. For access to your aircraft, a phone call to the airport communications center (328-6600) 30 minutes prior to your arrival at RNO is required; I’m sure a longer lead time would be appreciated. As a courtesy, please also contact Atlantic Aviation 30 minutes prior to arrival. Please let them know your N number and where your aircraft is located. At this time, it appears parking will be on the east side of RNO, but Brandon will verify your parking location when you arrange your arrival time. This courtesy arrangement includes ramp parking at RNO. Any additional services you require will need to be coordinated with Atlantic and will be provided at Atlantic’s normal rates and fees. If you are a hangar owner at RTS and choose to take advantage of this offer, be aware NO COMMERCIAL VENTURES are authorized in your hangar during race week. I would appreciate your help in tracking use of this service by letting me know if you plan to relocate to RNO. As always, feel free to contact me at 328-6570 or 690-2217 if you have questions.
- The FAR Part 91 Waiver will be in effect beginning Sunday morning, September 7 from 0800-1700 LCL, and remain in effect 0745-1700 each day through Sunday, September 16. For the waiver to be in effect, “RACE CONTROL” must be up and operating.
- A TFR will also be in effect from 1030-1700 Sunday 9/7, and from 0800-1700 EVERY DAY, beginning Monday September 8 through Sunday September 14. NOTE: A Prior Permission Required assignment is required for all tenants to operate from Stead at all times, beginning 0600 on Sunday, September 7 until 0600 on Monday, September 15. Contact John Proehl, Deputy Air Boss at (775)750-8131, or me at (775)690-2217 no later than 24 hours in advance for a PPR assignment.
- Hours of operation (Local) for the temporary tower (“Stead Tower” 133.3) will be:
- 0800-1700: Thursday – Saturday 9/4-6/2014.
- NO temporary tower on Sunday, September 8. (“RACE CONTROL” 133.3 only, 0745-1700)
- 1630 or Last Racer on Deck (LROD)-2000 daily: Monday 9/8-Sunday 9/14.
- On Monday September 15 from 0800-1700 “Stead Advisory” service will be provided on 122.7. This advisory service will be provided to expedite departures from RTS.
- If you plan to operate from RTS Sunday, 9/7 through Sunday 9/14, arrivals and departures should be planned for no later than 0730 in the morning and no earlier than 1700 in the afternoon. (See NOTE in TFR section above). Notify the tower on 133.3 on initial contact you are “Stead tenant with AWOS”. If something happens that absolutely requires you to depart during racing, contact me at 690-2217 to coordinate your request. Please do not use this service unless absolutely necessary (life and death emergency would qualify). If you are authorized (PPR) to operate during racing hours, contact RACE CONTROL on 122.7 for taxi instructions. There will be NO arrivals or departures while racing aircraft are airborne.
- THE AIRPORT WILL BE CLOSED EACH NIGHT FROM 2000 UNTIL 0600 THE NEXT DAY, BEGINNING MONDAY 9/8 UNTIL 0600 MONDAY 9/15.
- Due to high volumes of personnel and visitors on the ramp, A NO ENGINE TURN LINE will be in effect from 0600-2000 daily, beginning Thursday, September 4 through Monday, September 15. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION at all times while taxiing due to the possibility of pedestrians and vehicles in all areas of the airport. I realize the level of inconvenience this creates, but the safety of our visitors and yourself is more important. The NO ENGINE TURN LINE is north of the pit areas, and indicates the northern boundary where aircraft are allowed to operate under power. No aircraft may operate under their own power south of the NO ENGINE TURN LINE. Please contact me at 690-2217 or Patti at 328-6570 to coordinate a tow to or from the NO ENGINE TURN LINE to your hangar. If you move your aircraft yourself, we will be happy to get you to and from your hangar. We will have additional help for wing walking from CAP cadets this year.
24 hour advance notice would be a great help to us to provide this service. The NO ENGINE TURN LINE looks like this:
- The runway 32 ILS will be NOTAMed Out of Service beginning Friday September 5, with return to service scheduled by close of business, Monday, September 15.
Each year, it is my goal to mitigate the impact of the Air Races on Stead tenants as much as possible, and with your help, I’m sure we will have another great year. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns and suggestions regarding our airport.
My phone contact information is Office: 328-6570, Cell: 690-2217, or you may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone wishing to receive e-mail notifications please send your e-mail address to me as well.
Reno-Stead Airport Manager
ALWAYS CHECK NOTAMS BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT!