STEAD AIRPORT USERS’ ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
January 17, 2012
The Stead Airport Users’ Association (SAUA) Meeting was held at Tom Hall’s Office on January 17, 2012, 5:15p as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President; Dave Miller, Treasurer; Dan Ross, Secretary; Directors Lin Manning, Lew Gage, and Terry Matter. Liaison members: Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager, RTAA Representative John Wagnon, Chairman, Board of Trustees. BOD Member(s) absent: Vice President Ken Weigand, Mike Walsh.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the December 13, 2011 meeting were approved as presented.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Cash on hand, $3,486.10. Dan Ross was reimbursed $225.00 for the SAUA Wi-Fi equipment costs.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 59 members representing 140 hangars.
5. Airport Manager’s Report: The new Terminal building is 60% design complete, 90% next with ground breaking in April or May. The construction phase is expected to take 10-12 months and is currently on track and on time. The construction will be suspended during the Air Races but not Pylon School and is built into the current construction time schedule. Temporary pilot lounge and management office trailers will be located near Gate 1 soon. Just as a reminder to users of the Stead Airport, current snow removal priorities are as follows: Fire lanes, runway 8/26, taxiway A, taxiways between hangars, runway 14/32, taxiway B, in that order.
6. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: John Wagnon, RTAA Board of Trustees Chairman gave a quick overview of his service on the Board. His area of expertise is tourism, how to attract and how to increase. He is very committed to improving the Airport facilities and the lines of communication at both RNO and RTS. He said Stead generates approximately $680K pre year and it’s operating budget is $1.7M, the shortfall filled by airline fees and gaming revenues. He has one more year on his current term and is eligible for one more 4 year term, then “terms out”. Tom Hall thanked him for his time and invited him back anytime, always welcome.
7. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: “RARA has announced their intentions to initiate the planning for an air race event in September 2012. Many challenges exist but the organization believes that it can successfully work through these requirements and hold the event during the traditional September time period. Discussion with city officials, the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority and the FAA are underway with a common goal to present the event this year. On Jan 10th 2012 RARA participated in a NTSB Public Hearing to address the Safety aspects of Air Shows and Air Races. The NTSB investigation of the Air Race tragedy is on-going with a report due later this year.”
8. Next Quarterly Safety Meetings: The March 20 Safety meeting will featuring a presentation by Hub Zemke, Jr is planned. This to be followed by hangar flying/war stories with safety implications and lessons learned.
9. Committee Reports: Dan Ross briefed the Wi-Fi project is complete and providing service for tenants who are members. Two transmitters are installed and operational with strong signals west of the permanent race stands to the Miser Hangars. The SSIDs for the two transmitters are SAUA-1 and SAUA-2. The password is the same for both transmitters, saua2012. The password is case sensitive. Tim Brill is looking for a few good people to volunteer to attend his second Artic survival class next month. This course offers FAA Wings credit to the survivors. Contact Tim Brill for more info.
10. General Discussion: Limited due to time constraints.
11. Next Meeting: Board of Directors meeting February 13, 5:15p, at the Airport Manager’s Office. Krys Bart is scheduled to speak.
12. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:30p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary