RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2018
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) bi-monthly general meeting was called to order by President Tom Hall at 5:15 pm at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, Tuesday, July 10, 2018 as follows:
Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, welcomed all at the meeting. Association Officers, Dave Miller, Treasurer, Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager; Directors, Terry Matter, RARA Representative, Alby Redick, Aviation Classics, and Dan Ross were in attendance. Guest Member Mike Scott, RTS Manager was also in attendance. Board Members not in attendance were: Jack Buchold, Secretary, Lew Gage, Lin Manning, and Bob McLaughlin.
Members/Guests In Attendance: Pete Parker, Greg Stanley, Bobbi Thompson, and Bob Meurer of RTAG attended the meeting. Special Guest(s): Shaun Carey, Chairman, RTAA, Dean Schultz, COO of RTAA, Lisa Kay Brian, also of RTAA, and Fred Telling, CEO of RARA.
1. Minutes of Last Meeting: The Minutes of the May 8, 2018 general membership meeting were approved without comment. The regularly scheduled Board meeting was held on June 12, 2018.
2. Financial Report: Dave Miller reported activity in our account left a balance of $3,519.08
We were reminded that The new membership year begins January 1, 2018 and ends December 31, 2018, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
3. Membership Report: Dave Miller’s reported numbers were 127 listed names on the roster, 103 names on our email distribution list, and 65 paid memberships.
4. Program: The program was provided by Pete Parker, Executive Director of Pathways to Aviation,(pparker@ pathwaystoaviation.org). He provided an informative review of their activities as regards student support to encourage aviation related responsibilities in later life. These involved field trips to the Races from local schools, with free transport and entry if they signed up for aviation related classes. In 2016, they had 5,000 such students. The State of Nevada is developing Aviation Technology related classes to supply the aerospace industry with a motivated workforce in future years. The Pathways vision is to empower a new generation of quality aviation related experts who can fill jobs that are expected to be opening during subsequent years. For the 2017-2018 school years, they have over 7,000 students in 22 schools engaged in such activities, and they are hoping to award a number of scholarships to motivated students for continuing education in these areas. In order to facilitate this, they are focusing on career workshops in resume writing, networking, mentoring, and other activities.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Mike Scott, RTS Airport Manager briefed everyone on the status of the 8/26 project, noting that the paving should be completed by the end of the month, and they fully expect that the runway will be usable for the Races. He also discussed that the date of October 20 had been selected for the official Grand Opening of 8/26.
Mike Scott had previously reminded all in attendance that if you would like to contact him, his twitter feed is @RTSAV8TR
6. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Shaun Carey reported that it is a short agenda this month, and last month the Strategic and General Plan was adopted and they are breaking ground on a new parking lot that should be completed later this year. He also introduced Lisa Kay Brian, who is replacing Ken Moen in property management.
7. RARA Report: Terry Matter reported that PRS was not fully completed due to hazardous wind conditions, and said that for the race week, a waiver will be in effect from noon to 1500.
8. Webmaster Report: Tracy Rhodes said that over the past thirty days, the website had been working very well, and statistics would be provided later. Our address is still https://steadusers.org. The most recent newsletter is on our site under “newsletters”, and the hangar sub-lease example is under the airport menu below GAMS.
9. RTAG Report: Bob Meurer talked about the BBQ at the Atlantic Aviation building on Saturday, and invited everyone to attend.
10. EAA Report: Tracy Rhodes provided a brief report on the recent Young Eagles event and the upcoming IMC and VMC meetings.
11. Other Matters: We were reminded that Bobbi Thompson is the MEV manager, having been there nine years, being a retired pilot, and having 26 years of Race participation. Dean Schultz said that the GA lease/rent study “Request for Qualification” was pending.
12. Next RSAA Board Meeting: AUGUST 14, 2018
NO SEPTEMBER MEETING
Next RSAA General Meeting: October 9, 2018
Program is Dean Schultz on RNO master plan results
13. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:20 PM
Jack Buchold, Secretary
Ably assisted by Dan Ross
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT:
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.