RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
May 13, 2014
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, May 13, 2014 as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, Ken Wiegand, Vice-President, Dave Miller, Treasurer, Dan Ross, Secretary, and Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager. Board Members: Alby Redick, Don Osborne, Mike Walsh, Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager. Board Member(s) absent: Lew Gage, Lin Manning, and Terry Matter, RARA Representative. Guests/Members: Marily Mora, President/CEO for the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority, Adam Mayberry, Chairman, Board of trustees, Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA), Steve Katzmann, RTAA and liaison to the RSAA, Stacie Huggins, RTAA, Bob Meurer, RTAG, Tim Nichols, Michael Stuart, Andy Monroe, Rick Eaton, Jim Bordycott, Robert Rabkin John Parker, Adam Bohl, and Tom Porta. Special Guest: Ken Kelley, FAA Safety Team and guest speaker.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting: Approval of the Minutes of April 8, 2014 meetings was unanimous.
3. Financial Report: Cash on hand: $3622.88 Dave asked that all members be reminded that we are now approaching the new membership year dues will soon be due. The new membership year began July 1, 2014 and ends June 30, 2015, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: Check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 80 members.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Taxiway C rebuilding project was approved by the RTAA Board of Trustees, currently in the design process. During normal business hours, the mission planning room and associated bath room will be accessible from the flight line side. The flight lounge available after hours by card lock (the same card issued to tenants) or using a code. The code will be posted as previously located. There also will be an EXIT ONLY door from the mission planning room to the south side front parking lot available. Open WiFi is available in the building now. The Terminal Building will be made available during and after hours for training, seminars, and other activities. Contact the Airport Manager’s Office for details. Warren Rapp, new Range Control Manager has been assigned and his office is next to Mike Dikon’s office. The Airport maintenance crews are now turning their attention to spring cleaning. The Collins Foundation aircraft scheduled for 4-6 June. Mike continues to promoted the State Aviation License Plate sales. The money goes for worthwhile programs sponsored the Nevada Airport Managers Association.
6. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: Mr. Katzmann said his briefing would be short so Mr. Kelly would have ample time for his presentation. He quickly noted that the RTAA BOD had adopted a proposed budget. An UAV consultant and computer management positions are in the works. For a complete list of current RTAA Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
7. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: None
8. Ramp Checks-Ken Kelly-FAA Flight Safety: Ken first noted empathically that FAA Ramp Checks have nothing whatsoever to with Homeland Security’s current activities. Ramp checks can be the result of a complaint, a noted infraction, but most are friendly safety of flight compliance checks and do not result in any paper work being generated. Ken’s briefing was very informational sprinkled with moments of humor. If you would like this safety presentation for your aviation group, please contact Mr. Kelly at the Reno FSDO Office.
9. Webmaster Report: Tracy reported that he: Published 4 articles, deleted 134 SPAM user registrations, and updated the website software 6 times. The website had 436 unique visitors, averaging 2:30 each, and viewing 2.5 pages per visit. 126 of the visits were by mobile devices, totaling 29% of the visits. Most visited pages, 1002, were in order: Home Page, For Sale, Airport Businesses, Aviation Medical Examiners, Newsletter, Pathways Article, About, Contacts, and Calendar of Events. Additionally, Tracy has updated the appearance of the RSAA website, looks great. Tracy is now in the Web Hosting business, if you need web site assistance or a new web site developed, please give Tracy a call.
10. WiFi Proposal and Action: Robert Andrews, owner of Avant Wireless, installed the first of two WiFi transmitters for the Stead Ramp and it is up and running. The first WiFi transmitter is mounted on Dave Miller’s hangar and the second on the Aviation Classics MIG Hangar. Mr. Andrews, a pilot himself, is providing the equipment at his cost and is installing that equipment free of charge. Alby Redick, a pilot and owner of Aviation Classics is graciously funding the purchase of the two WiFi transmitters. The RSAA will partially offset the costs of the internet subscription. Both transmitters will be password protected with the Aviation Classics password expected to be available on AWOS and at the gas pump. These internet transmitters are intended to be Ramp Access WiFi Only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron. For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: firstname.lastname@example.org/.
11. Newsletter Report: The latest edition of the RSAA Newsletter is available on-line at: www.steadusers.org
12. General Discussion: President Hall Thanked Ms. Marily Mora, Adam Mayberry, Steve Katzmann, and Ken Kelly for taking time from their busy schedules to address the RSAA BOD, it was very much appreciated. Tom also reiterated that all Airport Authority Board Trustees and their Staff are always welcome and encouraged to attend the monthly RSAA meetings as are all association members and tenants-at-large.
13. Next Meeting: The next General Meeting is scheduled for 5:15p June 10, 2014, at the Freedom Center (Terminal Building) Conference Room located upstairs.
14. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:20p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.