RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
March 12, 2013
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the River Room, Reno-Tahoe International Airport, March 12, 2013,(The Stead Pilot Lounge is closed for Terminal construction) as follows:
1. Attendance: Tom Hall, President; Ken Weigand, Vice-President, Dan Ross, Secretary, and Tracy Rhoads, IT Manager. Board Members: Don Osborne, Lin Manning, and Terry Matter, RARA Representative. Guests: Dan Balantyne. Board Member(s) absent: Dave Miller, Treasurer, Alby Redick, Mike Walsh, Lew Gage, and Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager.
2. Minutes: Approval of the Minutes of January 9 and February 13, 2013 meetings was unanimous.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Cash on hand, $3577.77. Currently there are 67 members. Dave asked that all non-current members be notified. New membership year began July 1, 2012 and dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: check by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Correspondence: None
5. Officers and Directors: Terry Matter suggested that the next BOD meeting, April 9th, be held at the Spitfire Bar and Grill. He said they have a very interesting aviation background theme, might be worth a look.
6. Airport Manager’s Report: Scheduling conflict.
7. Stead Liaison Report: Bill Eck: Scheduling conflict.
(For a complete list of current Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
8. Special Guests: Krys Bart, RTAA President. Krys announced that her contract will end early, 1 July, to have a new CEO in place for the appointments/reappointments of the new Board of Trustees. She thanked the RSAA (SAUA) for its support of the new Reno Stead Terminal Building. The new terminal will cost $6M, a ground breaking ceremony is planned and everyone is welcome, site work completed by July, interior work only for Air Race Week, and completion by end of November.
The FAA is expected to release the 6 UAS testing sites by 1 April. Reno Stead’s goal is to be one of those six. Nevada’s Governor, Senior Senator, State Representatives, City of Reno, and the Airport Authority are campaigning vigorously to make it happen.
Another one of the projects that Krys is hoping to complete is a State Bill removing the sales tax on aircraft parts. This would bring NV into line with surrounding states that have eliminated sales tax to attract aircraft manufacturers.
The M-Block Hanger lease extensions (10 years with capital investment) are complete and all owners have signed except for one.
Krys said her proudest accomplishment during her tenure at the RTIA is that all improvement projects over the years came on time and on budget. That is quite an achievement indeed for public works projects.
9. RARA Report: Time yielded to Krys Bart.
10. IT Report: Published 4 articles, deleted 13 SPAM registrations, updated website software 3 times, and added 3 businesses to business page. There were 353 visitors averaging 2:18 while viewing 2 webpages. The most popular terms used to find the website were in order: Stead Airport Users, Aviation Scholarships 2013, Stead Users, Reno Stead Airport, Hangars (for sell or rent), Piper AD info, and 100LL prices. The most visited pages (921 total page views): Home page (243), For Sale (105), Forum (73), Airport Businesses (42), Medical Examiners (27), and Newsletter (18).
11. General Discussion: This year’s Young Eagles flight is scheduled for the morning of June 22 at Stead, more info later. The BOD voted to change the meeting location for April 9th to the Spitfire Bar and Grill, 4050 S. McCarran. Dan Balantyne ask the BOD consider a change to the website to provide more info to transients, who knew that no rental cars were available on weekends and holidays. He said he would develop an example of the additions he envisioned. The BOD encouraged him to do so. Dan Ross asked the BOD’s approval to continue efforts to update the Stead Flight Line WiFi equipment, the BOD approved. Tom reiterated that all Airport Authority Board Trustees and their Staff are always welcome and encouraged to attend the monthly RSAA meetings as are all association members and tenants-at-large.
The next Pathways to Aviation presentation is scheduled for April 17, 2013 at UNR. The next General Membership and Safety meeting is scheduled for TBD, location TBD.
12. Next Meeting: April 9, 2013, 5:15p at the Spitfire Bar and Grill.
13. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 7:00p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION(RSAA)MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all partie of interst;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.