RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
March 10, 2015
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, Tuesday, March 10, 2015 as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, Vice-President, Ken Wiegand, and Dan Ross, Secretary. Board Members: Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager, Don Osborne, and Lew Gage, Board Member(s) absent: Dave Miller, Treasurer, Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager, Alby Redick, Lin Manning, Mike Walsh, and Terry Matter, RARA Representative. Guests/Members: Steve Katzmann, Member BOD, RTAA and liaison to the RSAA, Dean Schultz, RTAA Executive Vice President and COO, Stacie Huggins, Airport Economic Development Manager, Doug Ritter, Merrily Kronberg Graham, Dean Tischler, Ed Woodward, Randy Gillette, Joey Scolari, Mike Crowell, Bill Eck, Member BOD, RTAA and Former liaison to the RSAA, Wayne Adams, Ann Yacknow, Leslie Adams, Katherine Greenwood, Jim Bordycott, Barry Simcoe, and Col Dan Waters, ARNG/SAAO.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting: Approval of the Minutes of February 10, 2015 meetings was unanimous.
3. Financial Report: Cash on hand: $3877.69. Dave asked that all members be reminded that we are now in the new membership year with dues now payable. The new membership year began July 1, 2014 and ends June 30, 2015, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: Check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 95 members; several members have not yet renewed their membership for the current fiscal year.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: We had second snowfall of 5” recently and the airport was open by 2:00p. BLM is in the process of renegotiating a new lease which includes converting the housing structures from temporary to permanent and some changes to their parking ramp due to the change to the larger C-130 tankers. Mike said that a new airport employee is scheduled to start work this Friday. There were 3050 aircraft operations last month. The Nevada Airport Association will meet in Carson City March 25-27. Mike also asked that the RSAA draft a letter urging the Governor to fully fund the Nevada Aviation Trust Fund ($100K), President Hall said he would do that. The Trust Fund provides monies state project with a required airport matching of 6.35% of project cost. During normal business hours, the mission planning room and associated bath room will be accessible from the flight line side. The flight lounge available after hours by card lock (the same card issued to tenants) or using a code. The code will be posted as previously located. There also will be an EXIT ONLY door from the mission planning room to the south side front parking lot available. Open WiFi is available in the building now. The Terminal Building will be made available during and after hours for training, seminars, and other activities. Contact the Airport Manager’s Office for details.
6. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: Steve Katzmann said the FAA had approved Phase I funding and construction of Stead taxiway C approaches where it connects to taxi ways A and B beginning this spring. At RTIA, two committee recommendations for the full board to consider: a change to land use at the South end of airport and a slight change to the parking area to make it more functional. For more information about the Board of Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
7. Special Guest Speaker: MGEN Wayne Adams, USAF Retired. General Adams gave an excellent briefing, with personal notes (AKA war stories and there I was moments), of the year he won the Reno Air Race in a borrowed P51. The race course was cross country from Lakeland FL to Reno NV. If you weren’t present, you arguably missed the best RSAA guest speaker presentation to date. General Adams concluded his presentation to a standing ovation from those present.
7. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Mike Crowell, CEO, briefed that RARA lost 160K in 2014, projected to break even in 2015, and be profitable in 2016 with the Blue Angles scheduled to perform. Class Presidents meeting went well, all classes entries up this year, and PRS scheduled for June 17-20. The Air Races are projected to add $67M stimulus to the Reno economy during the one week event.
8. Webmaster Report: No report, Secretary misplaced the data. Tracy is now in the Web Hosting business, if you need web site assistance or a new web site developed, please give Tracy a call.
9. WiFi Status: Current Stead_Users_West Password: Jan2015-SteadU. The Stead Users internet transmitter is intended to be Ramp Access WiFi Only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron. For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: email@example.com.
10. Next Meeting: President Tom Hall thanked MGEN Wayne Adams, USAF Retired, for his outstanding presentation and for his service to the United States. The next General Meeting is scheduled for 5:15p April 14, 2015 at the Freedom Center (Terminal Building) Conference Room located upstairs.
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:25.p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.