RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION
June 10, 2014
1. Attendance: President Thomas J. Hall, Vice-President Ken Weigand, Treasurer Dave Miller, Webmaster Tracy Rhodes, Alby Redick, Airport Manager Mike Dikun, RTAA Trustee Steve Katzman, RTAA Executive VP/COO Dean Schultz, Mike Walsh, RTAG President Bob Muerer, Doug Ritter, Col. Daniel Waters, John Parker, Lyn Manning, Don Osborne and Terry Matter. Absent was Dan Ross.
2. Minutes: Minutes from the May 13, 2013 meeting were approved.
3. Treasurer’s Report: The account has a current balance of $3,701.24.
4. Membership: The membership currently stands at 83 members.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Mike Dikun reported that the Pilot Rookie School (“PRS”) will be starting Wednesday, June 11, at noon. The “NO PROP” turn line is in effect whenever the PRS is in session. Aircraft tows will be provided, however, advance notice is required.
Conversation ensued regarding the recent fire at the pallet factory south of Alpha Avenue. Apparently, a kiln for drying wood sparked a fire, several propane tanks exploded, and various tires also caught fire. A committee was formed with Tom Hall, Don Osborne and Lyn Manning, to investigate the implications of such an incident next to and near the airport, property boundaries and private hangars. John Parker said he had to evacuate his hangar and business as a result of the fire. The committee will investigate possible fire code violations, zoning code violation, inspection records from RFD, and any other factors that may affect the airport and its tenants.
6. Fire Inspections: Mike reported that fire inspections are now required prior to July 31. Contact Mike, Patti Eddington or her replacement person for scheduling.
7. RTAA: Trustee report from Steve Katzmann, who noted:
The Finance and Construction Committee met recently. Parking lot paving will continue at the Reno-Tahoe Airport.
Stead Taxiway C is under way with 60% design finished. Once the FAA frees up money, the construction project will move forward.
A Business Advisory Committee has been established by RTAA to incorporate more than the casino/gaming industry. Notices will be sent out by the RTAA Staff.
8. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Terry Matter report the largest field of pilots (90) and aircraft (70) are registered for the 2014 PRS. They are anxious to conduct the PRS, and to qualify all participants. One certificate that is required is a Formation Flying Certificate. A pilot must obtain this certificate prior to entering the Air Race. The PRS Pilots have been busy around Stead in preparation to obtain their Formation Flying Certificate.
9. Hangar Lease Renewals and Rates: Dave Miller and Ron Kirby met with Steve Katzman and Tom Hall earlier in the month to discuss the pending lease renewals and lease rates. Mike Dikun said that there are several renewals in the next two years and six years out. A small committee was appointed, including Dave Miller, Alby Redick, Tom Hall, Ken Weigand, Bob Muerer and Don Osborne to study the matter. A tentative meeting date was set for June 19, 11:00 a.m., at the Law Offices of Thomas J. Hall, 305 S. Arlington Avenue.
10. Webmaster Report: Tracy Rhodes reported that he had revised the RSAA website. He removed the forum page. Traffic on the website continues at a consistent level as in previous months.
11. WI FI Status: No report as Dan Ross was absent.
12. Other Reports: Doug Ritter reported on the status on the Reno Aviation Museum and its partnership with Shades of Blue, a 501(3)(c) non-profit organization in support of STEM education and careers. Bob Muerer reported on a Second Annual Meet Our Controllers Fly-In and BBQ, scheduled for July 26, 2014, to be held at Reno Flying Service Hangar. Tom Hall reported on EAA’s Young Eagles event, scheduled for June 21, 2014. Pilots are needed. A brochure was distributed.
13. Next Meeting: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 8, 2014. RSAA will provide cookies at all future meetings.
14. Annual Picnic: The annual picnic/BBQ is scheduled for July 12, 2014, at Ken Weigand’s hangar, from noon to 2:00 p.m. Dave Miller will organize the event.
15. Meeting Adjourned at 6:06 p.m.
Thomas J. Hall, in the
absence of Dan Ross