RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
July 12, 2016
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, Tuesday, July 12, 2016 as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, Ken Wiegand, Vice-President, and Dan Ross, Secretary. Board Members: Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager, Mike Dikun, Stead Airport Manager, Terry Matter, RARA Representative, Alby Redick, Aviation Classics, and Don Osborne. Board Member(s) absent: Dave Miller, Treasurer, Lin Manning, and Lew Gage. Guests/Members: Bob Meurer, President, RTAG, Jack Buchold, Bob McLaughlin, Operations Officer CAF, Jan Bishop, Jack Suierveld, Greg Stanley, and Wes Waltenspiel. Special Guest(s): Bill Eck, RTAA Trustee and RSAA Liaison, Dean Schultz, RTAA Executive Vice President and COO, Tina Iftiger, RTAA Vice President of Economic Development, Laurie Weeks, RTAA Property Manager, Ken Moen, RTAA GA Property Specialist.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting: Approval of the Minutes of June 14, 2016 meeting was unanimous.
3. Financial Report: Cash on hand: $2764.90. Dan asked that all members be reminded that we are now in the new membership year with dues now payable. The new membership year has changed. The new membership year begins Jan 1, 2016 and ends December 31, 2016, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 111 members; several members have not yet renewed their membership for the current fiscal year.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: NASA-Ames UAV’s will continue to increase operations/testing at Stead during the August timeframe 9:00am to 2:00pm, wx permitting. There will be no flight testing in September but more in October. The goals of the testing program is airspace integration. The initial goals have been met successfully. These operations are expected to have little or no impact on Stead users, but when drones are flying, runway 14/32 will be closed. If the winds require 14/32 to be open the drone testing will be canx. Please check NOTAMS and AWOS for days and hours of Stead UAV flight ops. On-going pavement maintenance begins immediately, again weather permitting. PRS was completed with only minor problems. The FAST Training operation prior to PRS went well due to the outstanding cooperation between tenants and race pilots. Particular credit went to FAST organizer Bob Mills, one of our own. The 25 June Young Eagles flight were deemed very successful. There were 5445 operations last month. Help improve the traffic count, GO FLY. The annual hangar fire inspections are nearly complete. If you haven’t scheduled your fire inspection, please do at your earliest convenience. The fire inspector’s scheduled availability is normally from 0800-1200am 3 to 4 days a week and subject to manpower constraints at the Fire Station. Read that as possible unscheduled cancellations, so please don’t wait until the last minute to schedule your hangar inspection, allow time for possible rescheduling.
During normal business hours, both the mission planning room and associated bathroom are accessible from the flight line side. The flight lounge available after hours by card lock (the same card issued to tenants) or using a code posted as previously located. There also will be an EXIT ONLY door from the mission planning room to the south side front parking lot. Open WiFi is available. The Terminal Building is available during and after hours for training, seminars, and other activities. Contact Patty at the Airport Manager’s Office at 775-328-6570 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
6. Guest Speakers: Ken Moen, briefed that Stacy Huggins has left her position at the RTAA. The Commercial Standards Committee (CSC) had it second meeting, began the task of reviewing applicable FAA Regulations pertaining to Assured Airports, airports that accept Federal monies. Ken reminded everyone that the next CSC meeting is scheduled for August 9th, 4:00p, Conference Room, Freedom Center, everyone welcome.
7. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: Mr. Eck said that the Stead Guard taxiway D is scheduled for slurry sealing. Additionally, runway 16L/R at RNO will receive joint repair and sealing, work to been done at night, please check Notams for runway closure dates and times. Also the RNO Terminal Loop road around the terminal will also be repaired this summer. The rotational Chair of the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority is now the City of Reno Trustee, Mr. Bill Murdock. For Mr. Murdock’s bio, see website below. Previously Bill said if anyone wanted to contact him, his email address is Bill.Eck@sbcglobal.net
For more information about the Board of Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
8. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Terry Matter said there will be 3-4 TFRs in place during flight days starting Wednesday and ending Sunday, roughly overlaid over each other, surface to 9.5K and surface to 10.5K. Please see Notams for more info. Mike Dikon said all tenants should expect Air Race aircraft to begin arriving Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 9-11 and begin their maintenance and practice operations immediately thereafter. There will be a TFR over Stead Friday afternoon, September 11th for Jet quals, please check Notams for times. Mike reminded everyone that the ramp will increasing become more and more congested the weeks prior to Air Races due to race participants ops and construction activities on the ramp. Please be aware of the NO PROP LINE and airport night closure times. Check Notams.
9. Webmaster Report: Tracy is the new President of the Reno Stead EAA chapter. He invites all Stead tenants to participate. He noted that EAA and IMC organizations have merged. If you are a member of EAA, you are now a member of IMC. Tracy’s Stats: He published 2 articles, deleted 870 spam attempts to access the site, and updated the website software 10 times. There were 372 visits by 319 users with a 1:40 minute average duration, viewing 5.0 average pages. 178 (48%) of those visits were by mobile devices. Tracy said there were 1884 pages visited with the most visited pages: For Sale 613, Home Page 327, Calendar of Events 53, Airport Businesses 46, about 56, fuel prices 30, Aviation Medical Examiners 62, Contacts 22, and Join/Renew 18.
Tracy is now in the Web Hosting business, if you need web site assistance or a new web site developed, please give Tracy a call.
10. WiFi Status: Current Stead_Users_West Password is: Jan2015-SteadU. The Stead Users internet transmitter is intended to be Ramp Access WiFi Only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron. If you experience your navigation devices timing out before download is complete, please contact the secretary, RSAA.
For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: email@example.com.
11. RTAG Report: Bob Meurer, President said the annual BBQ is scheduled for August 13, 10:30a at the Reno Flying Hangar. All welcome. He said the RTAG members are working the scholarship program. Bob said he wanted to congratulate the RTAA for the quick work completing the reconstruction of Taxiway C. He attributed the success to excellent communication by the RTAA.
12. Next General Meeting: President Hall gave a special thanks to Bill Eck, RTAA Trustee and Reno Stead Liaison, Tina Iftiger, RTAA VP of economic development, Ken Moen, GA Specialist, RTIA, Greg Stanley, tabling of aircraft tax initiative tabling, and members of Reno NCAR for taking valuable time from their schedules to attend, and to all for attending the RSAA Meeting and extended an open invitation to the entire Airport Authority Management Team. Dean Schultz noted that Tina Iftiger had recently been recognized for her continuing efforts to improve the Reno Stead Airport.
President Hall reported that he had accepted Director Mike Walsh’s resignation from the Board. Jack Buchold was nominated and approved, by show of hands vote, as Mike Walsh’s replacement, congratulations Jack. The next General Meeting is scheduled for 5:15p, August 9, 2016 at the Freedom Center (Terminal Building) Conference Room located upstairs.
13. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:07p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.