RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
August 11, 2015
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, Tuesday, August 11, 2015 as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, Dave Miller, Treasurer, and Dan Ross, Secretary. Board Members: Terry Matter, RARA Representative, Bill Eck, RTAA Trustee and liaison to the RSAA, Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager, Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager, Lin Manning, and Mike Walsh. Board Member(s) absent: Ken Wiegand, Vice-President, Don Osborne, Lew Gage, and Alby Redick. Guests/Members: Steve Katzmann, Liane Conway, and Jack Buchold. Special Guests: Dave Ellsworth, Support Specialist, Reno ATCT, Dean Shultz, RTAA Executive Vice President and COO, Ken Moen, Director RNO/RTS GA Operations and Affairs.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting: Approval of the Minutes of July 14, 2015 meetings was unanimous.
3. Financial Report: Cash on hand: $2698.98. Dave asked that all members be reminded that we are now in the new membership year with dues now payable. The new membership year has changed and now began Jan 1, 2015 and ends December 31, 2015, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 98 members; several members have not yet renewed their membership for the current fiscal year.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Mike briefed that the construction of Taxiway C, Phase I, is complete. Phase II will consist of completely rebuilding taxiway C and construction will begin after the Air Races. Taxiway C will remained closed until the project until Phase II is complete. Check Notams and ASOS for latest updates to the Phase II construction schedule. The closed Taxiway C will be used to park aircraft during the Air Races.
Additionally, the ILS will be OTS during the Air Races and will return to 24 hour operation 21 September.
The Air Race Operational Plan “BE NOs” (there will be no this and be no that) will be published by RARA in coordination with the Airport Manager and be available to tenants two weeks prior to the start of the races. The NO PROP LINE will be in effect starting Monday or Tuesday, 14 or 15 September. Check NOTAMS and AWOS for more info. For those tenants needing to frequently use their aircraft during this time, there will be free parking at RNO, Atlantic will host, please let Atlantic know ASAP if you plan to reposition.
Mike said that the Fire Inspections are 100% compete.
NASA AMES 5 year plan to use Stead as an alternate test site is getting close to final agreement.
During normal business hours, the mission planning room and associated bath room is accessible from the flight line side. The flight lounge available after hours by card lock (the same card issued to tenants) or using a code posted as previously located. There also will be an EXIT ONLY door from the mission planning room to the south side front parking lot. Open WiFi is available. The Terminal Building is available during and after hours for training, seminars, and other activities. Contact Patty at the Airport Manager’s Office at 775-328-6570 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
6. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: Bill Eck said Steve Katzmann was not reappointed to the RTAA Board of Trustees and wanted to thank him for his efforts as a Trustee and especially for his liaison work with RSAA. Bill said that “Hoot” Gibson would be flying for the STREGA team this year. The Dermody RFP, development of land at both airports, is still progressing, awaiting final plan for the approval. Bill said if anyone wanted to contact him, his email address is Bill.Eck@sbcglobal.net
For more information about the Board of Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
7. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Terry Matter said PRS went great with few problems, best ever. Terry briefed that they are expecting 19 Formula 1 racers, 12 Bi Planes, T-6 Class is full, 40 Sport Planes, 18 Jets, and 15 Unlimiteds. Terry said the FAA Certified Breitling Jet Team would be performing at this year’s races, more ballet than acro. The team consists of 7 L-39 aircraft and 1 spare. More info at: http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/en/news-events/.
The TORA TORA TORA Airshow will also be performing with 8 equivalent aircraft in WWII Japanese livery and 1 P-40 in original markings. See website at: http://www.toratoratora.com/home.html. An F-16 will be also performing 4 days during the races. Terry said the CAF has signed up for this year’s displays. Looking ahead to the 2016 Air Races, Terry said the Blue Angles have committed to perform.
8. Special Guest: Dave Ellsworth, Support Specialist, Reno Tower gave a monthly breakdown of RNO traffic. 2007, before the recession, 12-13K ops/mo. Recession years, 52-5700/mo. Last month at RNO 72-7300 ops. At Stead first 4 months of this year, 1130 ops that used NORCAL services, getting a Txp code. Mike Dikon said his 8-26 runway counters logged 3-4K ops/mo during that timeframe.
9. Webmaster Report: Tracy said he published 3 articles, added 7 items to the calendar, deleted 1125 spam attempts to access the site, and updated the website software 14 times. There were 320 visits by 265 users with a 1:15 average duration, viewing 3.5 pages. 108 (34%) of those visits were by mobile devices. Tracy said there were 1120 pages visited with the most visited pages: Home Page 248, For Sale 286, Calendar of Events 59, Airport Businesses 50, Fuel Prices 40, Aviation Medical Examiners 63, Contact 31, Summer Newsletter 25 and About 17.
Tracy is now in the Web Hosting business, if you need web site assistance or a new web site developed, please give Tracy a call.
10. WiFi Status: Current Stead_Users_West Password: Jan2015-SteadU. The Stead Users internet transmitter is intended to be Ramp Access WiFi Only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron.
For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: email@example.com.
11. Next Meeting: President Tom Hall gave a special thanks to Steve Katzmann, and Dave Ellsworth for attending the RSAA Meeting and extended an open invitation to the entire Airport Authority Management Team.
The next General Meeting is scheduled for 5:15p September 8, 2015 at the Freedom Center (Terminal Building) Conference Room located upstairs.
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:23p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.