RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
April 8, 2014
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) monthly meeting was called to order at 5:15p at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, April 8, 2014 as follows:
1. Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, Ken Wiegand, Vice-President, Dave Miller, Treasurer, Dan Ross, Secretary, and Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager. Board Members: Lew Gage, Lin Manning, Terry Matter, RARA Representative, Bob Larkin, Alternate RSAA liaison and member RTAA Board of Trustees, Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager. Board Member(s) absent: Alby Redick, Mike Walsh, and Don Osborne. Guests/Members: Marily Mora, President/CEO for the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority, Bob Meurer, RTAG, Warren Rapp, Range Control Manager, Tim Nichols, FNG, Col Dan Waters, CC, NVNG Aviation Group.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting: Approval of the Minutes of March 11, 2014 meetings was unanimous.
3. Financial Report: Cash on hand: $3637.65. Dave asked that all members be reminded that we are now approaching the new membership year dues will soon be due. The new membership year began July 1, 2013 and ends June 30, 2014, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: Check or cash by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
4. Membership Report: Currently there are 80 members.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Taxiway C rebuilding project was approved by the RTAA Board of Trustees, currently in the design process. During normal business hours, the mission planning room and associated bath room will be accessible from the flight line side. The goal is to have the flight lounge available after hours by card lock (the same card issued to tenants) or using a code. The code will be posted as previously located. There also will be an EXIT ONLY door from the mission planning room to the south side front parking lot available. Open WiFi is available in the building now. The Terminal Building will be made available during and after hours for training, seminars, and other activities. Contact the Airport Manager’s Office for details. Warren Rapp, new Range Control Manager has been assigned and his office is next to Mike Dikon’s office. The BLM AirTac Supervisors Program (fire) will be held at Stead April 28-May 1. The Sports Car Club of America has sponsored “Street Survival” course for kids. About 30 young drivers were introduced to various survival skills at the event. 20 High School students in the area to tour manufacturing facilities around the Stead Airport, decided they would like a “no-notice” tour to the airport and Mike made that happen. Mike said the snow removal equipment has been serviced and “put to bed” for the season. The Airport maintenance crews are now turning their attention to spring cleaning. The operations counter located on the airfield registered approximately 6000 ops for the month of March. The Collins Foundation aircraft scheduled for 4-6 June. Mike also promoted the State Aviation License Plate sales. The money goes for worthwhile programs sponsored the Nevada Airport Managers Association.
6. RTAA Trustee Liaison Report: Mr. Bob Larkin was filling in for Steve Katzmann for the April meeting. The Grand Opening for Atlantic Aviation was last week. Stop by and tour their beautiful building. Mr. Larkin formally welcomed the new UAV coordinator, Warren (Bum) Rapp, to Stead and offered congratulations and good luck in his position. For a complete list of current RTAA Trustees and their bios, go to www.renoairport.com/airport-authority/board-trustees).
7. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Planning for the 2014 Air Race is proceeding as normal. At this time RARA expects an opening ceremony with 2 to 4 F-15s. Additionally, 2 F-22s, one for airshow and one for display, Heritage Aircraft include 2 F-86s and 1 P-38, a C-17 static from HI, C-130 w/jumpers from AK, F-16 static from NJ, and very possibly a Predator and Raptor statics. The current schedule of events is as follows: PRS is set for June 12-14 and Race Week is September 6-14 with all race aircraft on site NLT September 6.
8. Webmaster Report: Tracy reported that he: Published 2 articles, deleted 20 SPAM user registrations, and updated the website software 5 times. The website had 316 unique visitors, averaging 1:39 each, and viewing 2.1 pages per visit. 105 of the visits were by mobile devices, totaling 25% of the visits. Most visited pages, 875, were in order: Home Page, For Sale, Aviation Medical Examiners, Airport Businesses, Calendar of Events, Contacts, and Newsletter. Tracy is now in the Web Hosting business, if you need web site assistance or a new web site, please give Tracy a call.
9. Warren (Bum) Rapp, Range Control Manager, gave a quick overview of expected UAV operations. His prime directive is UAS development in Nevada and a major portion of that directive includes airspace integration of manned and unmanned aircraft. Initial operations will be limited to UAVs that weigh less than 55 pounds and will operate below 1000’ AGL, normally line-of-sight. By 2017, expect Cessna-size UAVs, however, these UAVs will require manned escorts while airborne. He said that he is very interested in addressing any concerns airport tenants may have about the coming UAV integration. He also mentioned, in passing, that if anyone is going flying and has an extra seat……. When asked about possible privacy concerns, Mr. Rapp replied quite frankly that there is no money in privacy monitoring; the money is in fire/agriculture/mining and ventures of that nature.
10. WiFi Proposal and Action: Robert Andrews, owner of Avant Wireless, installed the first of two WiFi transmitters for the Stead Ramp and it is up and running. The first WiFi transmitter is mounted on Dave Miller’s hangar and the second on the Aviation Classics MIG Hangar. Mr. Andrews, a pilot himself, is providing the equipment at his cost and is installing that equipment free of charge. Alby Redick, a pilot and owner of Aviation Classics is graciously funding the purchase of the two WiFi transmitters. The RSAA will partially offset the costs of the internet subscription. Both transmitters will be password protected with the Aviation Classics password expected to be available on AWOS and at the gas pump. The Miller transmitter’s password will be made available to RSAA members after completion of initial testing. These internet transmitters are intended to be Ramp Access WiFi Only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron. For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: email@example.com/.
11. Newsletter Report: The latest edition of the RSAA Newsletter is available on-line at: www.steadusers.org
12. General Discussion: President Hall Thanked Mr. Larkin for taking time from his busy schedule to address the RSAA BOD, it was very much appreciated. Tom also reiterated that all Airport Authority Board Trustees and their Staff are always welcome and encouraged to attend the monthly RSAA meetings as are all association members and tenants-at-large.
13. Next Meeting: The next General Meeting is scheduled for 5:15p May 13, 2014, at the Freedom Center (Terminal Building) Conference Room located upstairs.
14. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:20p.
Herman D. Ross, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and
To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.