RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
March 12, 2019
The Reno Stead Airport Association (RSAA) bi-monthly general meeting was called to order by President Tom Hall at 5:15 pm at the Reno Stead Terminal Conference Room, Tuesday, March 12, 2019 as follows:
Welcome and Attendance: Tom Hall, President, welcomed all to the meeting. Association Officers Jack Buchold, Secretary; Dave Miller, Treasurer; Tracy Rhodes, IT Manager; and Directors Lew Gage, Terry Matter, RARA Representative, and Dan Ross were in attendance. Guest Member Mike Scott, RTS Manager was also in attendance. Board Members not in attendance were Alby Redick, Aviation Classics, Lin Manning, and Bob McLaughlin.
Members/Guests In Attendance: Special Guest(s): Shaun Carey, RTAA Trustee, Dean Schultz, COO of RTAA, as well as Lisa Kay Brian and Aurora Ritter, also of RTAA. Also in attendance were thirty-six other individuals from the Stead aircraft related community.
1. Minutes of Last Meeting: The Minutes of the previous general membership meeting had been previously approved without comment.
2. Financial Report: Dave Miller was available, however, no report was requested due to the anticipated lengthy and valuable presentation from Mike Scott. However, the previous financial report had noted a balance of over $3 thousand in our account left
We were reminded that the new membership year began January 1, 2019 and ends December 31, 2019, dues are $20 per year. Dues can be paid: check by mail at:
Reno Stead Airport Association
5499 Alpha Avenue
Reno, NV 89506
or PayPal from the Website (www.steadusers.org), or cash/check to Dave Miller at the Miller Speed Sports hangar.
3. Membership Report: Jack Buchold was available, however, no report was requested due to the much anticipated presentation from Mike Scott. However, the previous membership report had noted 123 listed names on the roster, 86 names on our email distribution list, and 65 paid memberships.
4. Program: The program was provided by Mike Scott, Reno-Stead Airport Manager, and was entitled “Stead Airport Manager’s Update”. A support document was provided, and is available on the Reno-Stead Airport Association Website under “Home-Featured-Stead Airport Manager’s Meeting Recap.” Please review for more detailed information.
Mike’s topics included highlights of:
1. Staff Maintenance activities;
2. Anticipated Construction for the March to July period;
3. Drone Operations scheduled for May;
4. Other Activities on the airfield;
5. Grant Planning, Funding; and
6. Administrative Issues.
The topics presented competed for the attention of all those in attendance with the superb meat, beans, chicken, vegetable and potatoes repast supplied by Mike and his crew, primarily Dani, and the beverages provided by RSAA.
As related to the focus areas noted above, Mike talked about:
Teamwork awards, monetary savings in lavatory updates, tower painting and landscape improvements, ramp and gate asphalt repairs, and the constant war on cracks.
Building demolition and land-side road improvements along with drainage remediation and construction detours during the road reconstruction periods.
NASA drone testing using the airport as a verification of urban environment technology.
Fire Inspections, EAA activities, Guard training, NV Forestry plans, and of course, his anticipated vacation touring Normandy during the 75th anniversary of D-Day in June.
Mike expects funding for hiring a consultant to design a reconstruction plan for the ramp and taxiway A.
Mike talked about no more auto cross activities on the field, a continuity of operations planning review. a construction planning team, and assistance in the validation of FAA information as concerns the airport.
Aurora Ritter from RTAA discussed land use issues concerning:
the need to update the airport layout plan with the FAA,
an EIR on some EDAWN, Dermody, FAA and RTAA related properties,
And the Army Guard vacating the “non-aeronautical” use properties.
5. RTS Manager’s Report: Mike Scott, RTS Airport Manager (see above description of his presentation). Mike had previously reminded us that if you would like to contact him, his twitter feed is @RTSAV8TR
6. RARA Trustee Liaison Report: Shaun Carey was an attentive listener, and was not requested to provide an update.
7. RARA Report: Terry Matter was also not requested to provide an update.
Webmaster Report: Tracy Rhodes was also not requested to provide an update. Our address is still https://steadusers.org. The most recent newsletter is on our site under “newsletters”, and the pictorial representation of Mike Scott’s extensive report is a headline banner on our website. Last Noted April 2017
WiFi Status: Current Stead_Users_West Password is: Jan2015-SteadU. The Stead Users internet transmitter is intended to be Ramp Access WiFi only and coverage is not expected to extend to hangars located south of the parking apron. Frequently navigation devices are timing out before the download is complete. For those desiring their own personal high speed internet connection, please contact Robert Andrews at: email@example.com.
9. RTAG Report: Bob Meurer was silent in front of the crowd about his activities.
10. Next RSAA General Meeting: April 9, 2019
Ben Scott, 101st Anniversary, early mail delivery and Stearman 4E Speedmail
Next RSAA Board Meeting: May 14,2019
Program is TRACY RHODES on FOREFLIGHT
Next RSAA General Meeting: June 11, 2019
Kurt Haukohl, State Aviation Manager, NDOT
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 PM
Jack Buchold, Secretary
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION (RSAA) MISSION STATEMENT:
To represent the interests of all Tenants on the Reno-Stead Airport including Aircraft Owners, Fixed Base Operators, Aircraft Repair Facilities, United States Government Agencies and all parties of interest;
To ensure that all Tenants have the opportunity to speak with a united voice to the Reno Tahoe Airport Authority (owner of the airfield facility), the Federal Aviation Administration and the Local Governments relative to safe and affordable flying in Northern Nevada;
To enrich and promote the reputation of General Aviation within our community; and To promote a “Good Neighbor” policy with the Nevada National Guard, support facility improvements that enhance the Tenant experience and encourage affordable services, fuel prices and hangar rentals from all service providers operating at the Reno Stead Facility.
RENO STEAD AIRPORT ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes