STEAD AIRPORT USERS’ ASSOCIATION Meeting Minutes
January 11, 2011
The Stead Airport Users’ Association (SAUA) held a meeting at 305 South Arlington Avenue on January 11, 2011, as follows:
1. Attendance: Tom Hall, President; Dave Miller, Vice President/Treasurer; Dan Ross, Secretary; Directors Mike Walsh Lin Manning, Don Osborne, Lew Gage, and Terry Matter. Liaison members: Brooks Mancini, Reno International Airport Authority and Mike Dikun, Reno-Stead Airport Manager. Member(s) absent: Ken Weigand.
2. Minutes: Minutes of the December 7, 2010 meeting were approved as presented.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Cash on hand, $4,345.90. There are 49 members.
4. Correspondence: None.
5. Officers and Directors: Terry Matter’s and Dave Miller’s drafts of the SAUA Mission Statement were reviewed. The Board decided that merged drafts were good and thanked Terry Matter and Dave Miller for their joint efforts. The Mission Statement was approved subject to polishing by Tom Hall. The Mission Statement will be present next meeting for final approval. The Airport Authority is expecting to take a more visible approach this coming year. Additionally, RARA and EAA have both expressed intentions to become more active this year. Dan Ross made two proposals: a military Reserve liaison member position be approved by the board, and that the board consider funding and maintaining a SAUA website. These ideas will be discussed further at following meetings.
6. Airport Manager’s Report: Mike Dikun reported that the Reno-Stead Runway Safety Project that commenced last December is currently on track for completion mid-April 2011. Mike updated the impact to flying operations. Runways 14/32 is not impacted by this phase of the project and will remain open as the primary runway. As the primary runway, 14/32 will have priority for snow removal. As of the current time, the entire
length of 08/26 runway is closed until the end of January with the following exceptions. The runway is closed all week days and nights starting at 0700 each Monday and will reopen at 1700 each Friday. The runway will be open both weekend days and nights from 1700 Friday until 0700 Monday. Phase II will commence immediately at the completion of Phase I. Phase II will impact flight operations at the intersection of runways
08/26 and 14/32. During Phase II, all runways will be open with a minimum of 4350’ available.
Mike will keep tenants updated through emails and personal briefings. Mike asks that anyone who has special circumstances, please contact him. Mike is continuing his efforts to replace the RTS AWOS system. The current AWOS is 20 years old and replacement parts are getting hard to find. He is requesting inputs from the tenants and users for the type of system that would meet their needs. Mike suggested that the Board review the Super AWOS system online at http://www.superawos.com/ for an example of the new AWOS systems capabilities.
7. Stead Liaison Report: Brooks Mancini presented a general overview of new ground rental rates at RTIA. The current major tenant leases expired after 25 to 40 years. The lease rate for the ground had been static at one cent per square foot during that timeframe. The Airport Authority, after doing an evaluation of current lease rates a comparable airports, proposed increasing the square foot costs to 34 cents. There
are discussions among some RTIA users that Washoe county should assume operational control the airport. The terminal project at RTS is moving ahead, looking for an architect to do initial designs.
8. General Discussion: Terry Matter informed the Board that PRS “rookie school” is scheduled for June 15-18 this year. Tom Hall briefed that the annual Young Eagles flights were scheduled for June 25th. The SAUA General Business meeting will be held April 12th in conference room in the airport manager’s office. Please encourage all members to participate. Non-members are also welcome.
9. Next Meeting: The next meeting will be February 8, 2011 5:15p at Tom Hall’s office, 305 S. Arlington.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:15p.